ARE YOU AN INDIVIDUAL INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING WITH FIRST STEP?
Winter UPDATE (last updated February 2024):
We are NOT currently accepting new, individual volunteers. Please read ALL of the information below before completing the inquiry form at the bottom of this page to be added to the waitlist and contacted when we reopen applications.
There are two pathways to volunteering individually with First Step:
- Indirect Service Volunteers do not volunteer directly with survivors. These are more project-based volunteering or placements that include tasks like maintenance, clerical responsibilities, data entry, cleaning, sorting, and organizing.
- Direct Service Volunteers may interact with or volunteer directly with survivors therefore these types of volunteers require full attendance of our Core Skills Training (see below) before being able to volunteer as a Direct Service Volunteer. Below you will find a description of all the volunteer opportunities that may be available.
Due to the sensitive nature of our work, we have a rigorous and comprehensive application, screening, and training process for volunteers. An individual volunteer's requirements and expectations ultimately depend on the type of volunteer work and length of project or placement. Application approval, acceptance, and/or completion of training does not guarantee suitability and placement within First Step programs. Volunteers may be dismissed at any time.
STEPS TO BECOME A FIRST STEP VOLUNTEER
- Submit Volunteer Inquiry at the bottom of this page.
- Complete Volunteer Application received from Volunteer Specialist and begin background checks.
- Have a one-on-one interview with the Volunteer Specialist. Interview must be completed in order to sign up for a spot in our Core Skills Training (space is limited).
- Direct Service Volunteers - Complete Core Skills Training (see below), pre-training and post-training content, if needed for your placement. All screening measures prior to step 4 must be completed before being offered a spot in the training (spots are limited and training is only offered a few times a year).
- Once all volunteer requirements have been cleared, First Step's Volunteer Specialist will reach out to begin placement and connection to your staff liaison (a First Step member who will oversee your tasks). Additional placement training may be required.
- All volunteers must adhere to the 1-year volunteer commitment.
- All volunteers must complete background checks.
- Direct Service Volunteers must complete a DHHS check and provide a copy of State ID.
- Direct Service Volunteers must complete all self-study training content, attend ALL Core Skills Training sessions (see below), all post-training content, and necessary shadowing of staff liaison in placement.
If you have a particular skill, idea, or resources that you feel could benefit First Step but aren't sure they directly fit into one of our volunteer placements, please do not hesitate to reach out and share your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CORE SKILLS TRAINING SESSIONS
All Core Skills Training will be held in-person at our Wayne office located at 4400 Venoy, Wayne, MI 48184
May 2024 (tentative date subject to change)
May 9th, 5:30p-8:30p
May 17th, 9a-5p
May 18th, 9a-5p
May 19th, 9a-5p
September 2024 (tentative date subject to change)
September 12th, 5:30p-8:30p
September 20th, 9a-5p
September 21st, 9a-5p
September 22nd, 9a-5p
January 2025 (tentative date subject to change)
January 9th, 5:30p-8:30p
January 24th, 9a-5p
January 25th, 9a-5p
January 26th, 9a-5p
I'VE READ THE ABOVE INFORMATION, HOW DO I BEGIN THE PROCESS?
If you've read about our program and would like to further explore where you may fit in, use the contact form below to indicate your interest and availability! A staff member will reach out in 3-5 business days to discuss next steps including sharing any dates for upcoming info sessions or interview opportunities.
If the upcoming training dates do not work for you or the current and available placements are not of interest to you, email email@example.com to be added to the waitlist.