Generally, volunteers at First Step fall into two categories:
- Consistent Volunteers.
- Project Based Volunteers.
Consistent volunteers are volunteers who want to have direct contact with First Step clients, and who want to engage with clients on an ongoing basis. Consistent volunteers are asked to make a 6-month commitment, and for most volunteer positions, you must be at least 18 years old.
First Step will provide you with the foundational training you will need to be successful. You must attend all training dates to be included.
Also, out of obligation to the clients we serve and our community stakeholders, we have a rigorous screening process that includes:
- State and Federal criminal background checks,
- Driving Records Check (if you will be required to drive for the agency, or on agency time),
- Department of Health and Human Services child abuse and neglect check,
Project-Based volunteers are individuals or groups that will not interact with clients on an on-going basis. These volunteers tend to do work in and around our offices to help improve the spaces or to provide a single event for the agency. These events are usually self-scheduled with staff and program input.
This kind of volunteering does not require the complete training, background checks, and interview process.
If you would want to volunteer on a consistent basis, here is some information that is going to be helpful:
- Pick which form of Volunteering you would like to pursue
- Individual Volunteering.
- Project-Based Volunteering.
- If you would like to become a Consistent Volunteer, request and complete the following documents and return them to Danny Inman by email at email@example.com or fax to 734-722-4311, along with a copy of your driver’s license:
- Schedule and attend an initial screening interview with the Community Services Advocate.
- If approved, the applicant must attend training.
Upcoming Training Round
Reminder, all of these days are required.
First Step Core Training:
May 6, 9 a-3:30 p
May 7, 9 a-3:30 p
May 20, 9 a-3:30 p
May 21, 9 a-3:30 p
For some of our volunteer positions, a specialty training will be required. Prospective Childcare Volunteers and Assault Response Advocates will be required to attend specialized training.
Assault Response Saturday, June 3, 2017, 9:00 a- 5:00 p
Legal Tuesday, June 6, 2017, 5:30 p – 8:45 p
Nurturing Thursday, June 8, 2017, 5:30 p- 8:00 p