THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN INTERNING WITH FIRST STEP!
Thank you for your interest in our internship program. First Step is an inclusive agency providing comprehensive services for adult and children survivors from various backgrounds and belief systems.
Internship opportunities are available to students both at the Bachelors and Masters degree levels. A variety of opportunities are available to students with various majors. You are not required to be a social work major to be eligible for an internship with First Step.
What You Can Expect
While at First Step you will be participating in various roles including but not limited to:
- Providing one-on-one counseling, advocacy and group sessions to adults and children affected by domestic and sexual violence.
- Offering support to our Children’s Program team through intakes, nurturing, group sessions, community education and presentations.
- Answering the 24 hour help line providing support to survivors, supplying information regarding services, crisis intervention and safety planning.
Student Field Placments
Students interested in completing their field placement with First Step must be available for a minimum of two semesters.
As part of our program each intern will be responsible for completing two shifts a month with our assault response team.
Valid driver’s license, car insurance, and reliable transportation (negotiable if proper alternative is provided)
Students will need to have a flexible schedule (ideally two days to commit to internship) as well as day time availability in order to participate.
- Community Response – Legal
- Children’s Program Services
- Residential and Shelter Services
- Non-Residential Adult Client Services for both Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Programs
- Philanthropic Placements (Macro)
First Step is willing to create unique internship opportunities for those with specialized degrees looking to support First Step’s mission.
For example, Philanthropic students may have the opportunity to work with our Fund Development team on projects geared toward promoting First Step in the community and gaining exposure around First Step events.