THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN INTERNING WITH FIRST STEP!
Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, First Step is unable to host interns at this time. We plan to review this decision for Fall 2022.
We are taking this time to update many of our facilities, programs, policies and procedures in order to provide our wonderful interns with an even better experience once are back on-site and able to welcome interns again.
We hope you appreciate our transparency and understand our need to suspend the program. In the meantime, feel free to check out our Home Page to access our most up-to-date information.
FIRST STEP'S INTERN PROGRAM
Thank you for your interest in our internship program. First Step is a non-profit in Wayne County providing comprehensive and trauma-informed services to individuals and families impacted by domestic and/or sexual violence.
Internship opportunities are available to students both at the Bachelors and Masters degree levels. Spots are limited and more positions are available to BSW's than MSW's due to supervision requirements.
A variety of placements are available to students within various First Step Programs. You are not required to be a social work major to be eligible for an internship with First Step. Other degrees former interns had pursued include, but are not limited to: counseling, psychology, non-profit management, criminal justice, child development, and so forth.
What You Can Expect
Depending on placement, intern role and responsibility may include:
- Providing one-on-one counseling, advocacy, and group sessions to adults and/or children affected by domestic and sexual violence.
- Offering support to our Children's Program team through intakes, nurturing, group sessions, community education and presentations.
- Answering the 24 hour help line providing support to survivors, supplying information regarding services, crisis intervention and safety planning.
- Providing criminal justice and legal advocacy through police departments, court houses, and other community sites.
Student Field Placments
Students interested in completing their field placement with First Step MUST be available for a minimum of two semesters, two days a week. At this time, First Step cannot accomodate any internships that are less than two semesters or 16 hours a week with weekend only availability.
As part of our program, each intern will be responsible for completing two shifts a month with our assault response team.
Students will need to have a flexible schedule as well as day time availability in order to participate. Interns within the Children's Program will need late afternoon and evening availability to work within children's school schedules.
Internship Placements (Availability Varies)
- Community Response Program (Legal Services)
- Residential and Shelter Program
- Domestic Violence Non-Residential Adult Program
- Sexual Assault Non-Residential Adult Program
- Children's Program
- Transitional Supportive Housing Program
- Philanthropy, Volunteer, and Community Engagement Programs
First Step is willing to create unique internship opportunities for those with specialized degrees looking to support First Step's mission.
For example, finance students may have the opportunity to work with our Finance Department. We encourage all folx to reach out and discuss options and interests.