Generally, volunteers at First Step fall into two categories:
- Consistent Volunteers.
- Project Based Volunteers.
Consistent Volunteers are volunteers who want to have direct contact with First Step clients and engage with them on an ongoing basis. Consistent Volunteers are asked to make a six (6) month commitment. For most positions, you must be at least 18 years old.
Out of obligation to the clients we serve and our community stakeholders, we have a rigorous screening process that includes:
- State and Federal criminal background checks,
- Driving Records Check (if you will be required to drive for the agency, or on agency time),
- Department of Health and Human Services child abuse and neglect check,
First Step will provide you with the foundational training you will need to be successful. You must attend all training dates to be included.
Project-Based Volunteers are individuals or groups that will not interact with clients on an ongoing basis. These volunteers tend to do work in and around our offices to help improve the spaces or to provide a single event for the agency. These events are usually self-scheduled with staff and program input.
This kind of volunteering does not require the complete training, background check, and interview process.
If you would like to volunteer on a consistent basis, here is some information that is going to be helpful:
- Pick which form of volunteering you want to pursue:
- Individual Volunteering
- Project-Based Volunteering
- If you would like to become a Consistent Volunteer, complete the following documents and return them to Hilary Hitte by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 734-722-4311:
- Schedule and attend an initial screening interview with the Community Services Advocate.
- If approved, you must attend training. All training and orientations take place at: First Step Wayne Family Center, 4400 Venoy Rd, Wayne, MI 48184
Our next volunteer orientations will take place on:
New dates coming soon!
FIRST STEP CORE TRAINING
Reminder: You must attend all four days.
Day 1 & 2: Saturday, September 7, 2019 and Sunday, September 8, 2019
Day 3 & 4: Saturday, September 21, 2019 and Sunday, September 22, 2019
Some of our volunteer positions, require specialized training. Prospective Childcare Volunteers (Nurturing) and Assault Response Advocates are required to attend specialized training. (Please note that these dates are tentative , exact dates and times will be posted when that information becomes available.)
Legal: Monday, September 23, 2019 – 5:30p-9:00p
Nurturing: Thursday, September 26, 2019 – 5:30p-7:30p
Assault Response: Sunday, September 29, 2019 – 9:00a-4:00p