Thank you for your interest in volunteering with First Step!
Unfortunately First Step is unable to accept new, individual volunteers at this time. In order to provide the best possible experience for our individual volunteers, the program is currently on hold as we work to restructure it. We plan to be ready to accept new, eager volunteers in the Spring of 2020. By then, our program will be ready to flourish and provide an overall better experience for our volunteers that will keep you coming back for more! We hope you appreciate our transparency and understand our need to reevaluate the program.
To be contacted in the Spring with information regarding the next steps to becoming an active volunteer, please fill out this form so that we have your contact information.
If you have a group interested in volunteering (maintenance, one-time project or to host a family-fun event i.e. “project based volunteers”), or have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com or contact our coordinator, Audriana Buchanan-Cronk, at 734-713-0670.
In the meantime, read through the information below to learn more about the volunteer opportunities, commitment and process.
Generally, volunteers at First Step fall into two categories:
- Consistent Volunteers.
- Project Based Volunteers.
Consistent Volunteers (Currently on hold)
Consistent Volunteers are volunteers who want to have direct contact with First Step clients and engage with them on an ongoing basis. Consistent Volunteers are asked to make a six (6) month commitment. For most positions, you must be at least 18 years old.
Out of obligation to the clients we serve and our community stakeholders, we have a rigorous screening process that includes:
- State and Federal criminal background checks,
- Driving Records Check (if you will be required to drive for the agency, or on agency time),
- Department of Health and Human Services child abuse and neglect check,
First Step will provide you with the foundational training you will need to be successful. You must attend all training dates to be included.
Project-Based Volunteers (ON-GOING)
Project-Based Volunteers are individuals or groups that will not interact with clients on an ongoing basis. These volunteers tend to do work in and around our offices to help improve the spaces or to provide a single event for the agency. These events are usually self-scheduled with staff and program input.
This kind of volunteering does not require the complete training, background check, and interview process.
If you would like to volunteer on a consistent basis, here is some information that is going to be helpful:
- Pick which form of volunteering you want to pursue:
- Individual Volunteering (on hold)
- Complete the form to be contacted in the Spring of 2020 to begin the process. Click here to access the form
- After being contacted, you will schedule to attend an initial screening interview with the Community Services Advocate.
- If approved, you must attend training. All training and orientations take place at First Step’s Karen Wilson Smithbauer Family Center, 4400 Venoy Rd, Wayne, MI 48184
- Project-Based Volunteering (on-going)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our coordinator, Audriana Buchanan-Cronk, at 734-713-0670 to discuss options and availability
- Individual Volunteering (on hold)
FIRST STEP CORE TRAINING
You must attend all four days.
First Step offers a four day (over 2 weekends) trauma-informed training that is mandatory for all consistent volunteers to complete. Each day includes 2-3 different topics that are necessary for working at First Step and with, or for, our clients. Each day is approximately 7-8 hours long and will make you prepared for whatever role it is you take on as a volunteer at First Step.
Some of our volunteer positions require specialized training. Prospective Childcare Volunteers (Nurturing) and Assault Response Advocates are required to attend specialized training such as Legal, Nurturing, or Assault Response trainings. These trainings are typically offered after 5pm on weekdays and last 2-3 hours each.